Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Religion

Throughout the novel, Ka is confused about his religion. "It's because I'm solitary that I can't believe in God. And because I can't believe in God, I can't escape from solitude. What should i do?" (104) Ka believes he feels lonely because God doesn't exist to be there for him. But because he didn't believe in God, he felt really lonely. Ka had a conversation with a man named Mesut. Ka explained, "The snow reminds me of God" and Mesut responded, "Yes, but do you believe that God created snow?...You're not giving me an answer. If a person knows and loves God, he never doubts God's existence. It seems to me that you're not giving me an answer because you're too timid to admit that you're an atheist" (89)

Religion also came up with young women throughout the novel. In the beginning of the novel, women were forbidden to take of their head scarfs. The government considered it a sin if they did. The girls didn't know how to escape from society so they resorted to committing suicide. By the end of the novel, there were plays where women were forced to take off their head scarf. One including Ipek's sister Kadife.
~L.J.

No comments: